Saturday, June 28, 2008

Observations of irony

I've noticed that many American otaku, particularly the younger set, seem to have a desire to be voice actors. I suspect this now nearly stereotypical dream is largely the result of that age group having little other idea of what they'd like to do with their lives. Voice acting seems an obvious way to make a living from something they love. It may also stem, in part, from the belief that such work is easy.

Personally, I've never entertained that particular ambition, especially being, as I am, already gainfully employed full-time at a job that I like very much. This is what makes recent events all the more amusing/ironic.

One of my co-workers gave me a flyer last week. Her son is involved with the making of an animated film at the local artsy college and had put out a call for people to come and audition for parts the following Saturday (today). The film in question, I was told, probably won't be completed until sometime in 2009 (in typical American animation fashion, they won't be doing the animation until AFTER recording the voices), and will be a straight to DVD release.

When I first read the flyer, I wasn't sure I'd be able to come, or even if I wanted to. Saturdays are usually either catch up, or rest up, days for me, and I hesitate to give them up. And since I spent nearly all of last weekend at JAFAX, I was especially reluctant this week.

Eventually though, I decided I'd at least go and see what it was all about, with the end result that I auditioned for, and got, three bit parts (before anyone gets in the least bit impressed by this, I feel I should point out I had no competition for any of these roles, and all three parts together only amounted to a grand total of five or six lines). This, in turn, led me to an interesting realization, and the second amusing/ironic thing about all of this: although the major roles paid more ($25, as opposed to $15 for the bit parts), my ratio of lines to dollars was actually quite a bit better than the people who got those major roles, especially since most of them only got a single part, while I was able to get three (and still be done recording by 2:00PM).

So, first an opportunity I had never looked for literally fell into my lap. Then, even though I didn't get any important parts, I still came out ahead, in time/money at least, of the people who did get major roles. Funny how things worked out...

Overall, it was an interesting experience, and I'm not sorry I participated (although I am dog tired this evening). If a similar opportunity presented itself later, I'd definitely be interested, but I won't be laying awake nights hoping and praying for another chance at it.

No comments: