Wednesday, August 15, 2007

#3 - Create a blog and post about which of the 7 and 1/2 lifelong learning habits are easiest and hardest for you

#3 of the 23 things

I had to spend a little time really thinking about the 7 1/2 habits of "highly successful lifelong learners" before I felt ready to name which I felt were easiest and hardest for me. I'm still not completely happy with my conclusions, especially since it seems to me that more than one often applies depending on the exact circumstances. In the end, I more or less picked those I felt fit the majority of the time.

Easiest: #2 - Accept responsibility for your own learning.

Whether I'm trying a new recipe, deciphering kanji, or converting my brother's Tesla coil demonstration video from QuickTime to DVD-compliant MPEG2, it seems that I am always learning something new or building on previous knowledge. When I want or need to know something specific, I'm seldom, if ever, content to drift along waiting for the right answer or piece of information to chance my way. Instead, I go hunting - and I usually find what I want.


Hardest: #7 - Teach/mentor others.

While I HAVE taught/mentored others, it's never been easy for me. When I'm used to doing something and do it often, I rarely spend much time actually thinking about how or why I do it. This can throw quite a monkey wrench into things when it comes to explaining it anyone else. I sometimes get impatient - with myself for being impatient, if nothing else - over the slow pace required to explain, and do, something step-by-step. I also tend to lack confidence in myself as a teacher. I’m usually worried that I will forget to tell or explain something important, that my instructions will be confusing, or that I’ll just get frustrated and blow it. I have been told, by people I’ve instructed, that I’m a good teacher, but I rarely, if ever, feel that way.

No comments: