Wednesday, January 16, 2008

#13 - Online productivity

#13 of 23 things

OK..this isn't the first time I've heard of online word processors and other apps of that sort (my brother keeps telling me I should try Open Office), but since my computer came with all the apps I've needed so far, I never really bothered.

Zoho Writer looks pretty comprehensive. There are even a few things I can do with it that I either can't, or don't know how to do with my current wp (examples: strikethrough, comments, subscript, and superscript). I also like that the Special Character pop-up box shows a larger preview of whatever character you're hovering over. I haven't played with it yet, but I also like the idea of tags as folders. Now, how often will I use any of these things? I have no idea, but it's fun to have the option cool

The other Zoho apps seem like they might prove useful once I take time to explore them all, and it's nice that everything seems to be linked, but again, I'm not sure how often I'd actually use most of these things.

*edit*

I managed to publish the above four paragraphs as a draft directly from Zoho (no thanks to my internet connection that kept freezing up), then edited it in Blogger. Definitely handy if you want to quickly transfer documents.

I can't help but think that this 'thing' is a little mis-named. You could spend a whole lot of time exploring all this stuff, and get little or nothing else at all done. Fun? Maybe. Productive? Maybe not.

No comments: