Thursday, January 10, 2008

#9 - Library blogs

#9 of 23 things

I think I like the Bloglines search engine best. I got useful hits on every search I tried. The others were more problematic (I couldn't even get Feedster to come up - more "page cannot be displayed" fun).

Searches on Topix and Technorati resulted in huge numbers of hits. Since both sites seem to search as keywords (rather than tags or something similar), something might come up simply because my search term appeared once (and sometimes ONLY once) on the entire site, or blog. This is not very useful if you're looking for a site or blog devoted to the search topic, although there were some more advanced searching options available to help narrow the results.

Syndic8 was better (it appears to perform a title keyword search), but still a little unwieldy. It also offers a linked tag list, but in keeping with most tag lists, they were displayed as a cloud (the more popular the tag, the larger the type), resulting in a very disjointed and confusing layout. It also crashed my web browser the first time I tried to access it.

Overall, I'd say which one you want to use will depend greatly on what you're looking for. If you want specific information on a specific topic, then Topix and Technorati are probably best, but if you want an overview or general info, then go with Bloglines and Syndic8 .

No comments: