Tuesday, January 22, 2008

#17 - Wikis

#17 of 23 things

I long ago discovered the joys and frustrations of Wikipedia, but I hadn't realized just how widespread wikis are. After reading and poking around the discovery resources and links, I'm convinced that wikis can be highly effective means of gathering information, keeping it current, and making it easily accessible.

As far as editing goes, obviously, there needs to be a balance between the ease of updating/changing things, and monitoring who can do what and where. This wouldn't seem to be as much of a problem if your wiki is entirely internal, but if you're open to anyone, then you might end up with quite a mess if you aren't watchful.

I liked Book lover's wiki. I've often wondered if libraries would be able (or willing) to allow patrons (and staff) to leave reviews of titles the way Amazon does. Looks like some are already doing it.

No comments: