Tuesday, January 22, 2008

#19 - Digital music

#19 of 23 things

I've been listening to Yahoo Music for several months, and have been quite happy with it. I like being able to rate songs, artists, albums, and types of music I like higher (and thus get them played more often) or to tell my personal radio station to never play a particular song, artist, album, or type again. What I like even better is being able to look up and change those rating if I've made a mistake or changed my mind.

I also occasionally listen to local stations online, but I've done this less and less since discovering Yahoo Music. If there were talk shows or something of that sort that I liked to hear regularly, I'm sure the situation would be different, but I chiefly listen to the radio for music.

Despite my enthusiasm for online radio, I've never bought music via download, or used a file sharing site (although I would certainly consider it if I couldn't find what I wanted anywhere else). I like owning the shiny cases with artwork and liner notes. Working for a library, I'm usually able to rent albums and listen to them, so I usually don't have to "buy blind (deaf?)" if I don't want to. There are usually waiting lists for very popular and/or new titles, so this approach does require some patience, but this is one case when I'm usually willing to spend time to save money.

No comments: